Save $20 with WyzAnt Tutoring

Saturday, March 14, 2015

What is Pi, Anyway!?

It's Pi Day!!!!!! 3.14   Get it? March 14th. 3/14.  :)

The best part is pi is really equal to 3.14159......and even more if we had time...BUT the year after it this year (the 15) goes right with the number of pi, so that's exciting! Well...

     Anyway, today's date is 3/14/15. Yes this is special to a math teacher and/or math nerd. If you had me as a teacher, you know it all too well, but you probably loved it, because we ate pie to celebrate. After measuring some stuff of course, I wasn't that nice! Even my family knows how nerdy I am, and I got a Pi-Pie Pan for Christmas one year. (Thank you, Tommy!)

Christmas 2009


    But, what is pi? Where does this number come from?
   
    It has no pattern to the decimals and it never ends! This makes it an irrational number. That means if you know the numbers it's because you have memorized them. Good job! I haven't done that.
     I'll tell you what Pi is, but only if you remember it for the rest of your LIVES!! Just kidding, but not really. The video is about 2 minutes. Watch it for Pi Day!

PI-Day Video on What is pi?

 
Here's a brief written explanation:


 This is for every single circle in the world! That's the outside divided by line through the middle of the inside. Also known as the circumference divided by the diameter, or the ratio of the circumference to the diameter.

 Examples include: bottom of pencil holders, bottoms of cups, pizza, circular cookies, and of course pie! ANYTHING THAT IS A CIRCLE! I have told people this before, students, my sister, etc., and some did not believe me. I hope you believed it!

Have a great Pi Day, everyone!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment